What you’ll need:
- A food dehydrator
- A sharp knife and cutting board
- A Natural Balance Dog Food roll
- A good night’s sleep
- Cut the roll into ¼” – ½” slices (the thinner the slice, the less time it takes to dehydrate)
- Please the slices in the dehydrator with the top vents open.
- Turn on the dehydrator and go to bed.
- When you get up, turn off the dehydrator and let the slices cool.
- Put the cooled slices in Ziploc bags, but don’t seal the bags for at least a day to make sure they are dry.
- The slices no longer need to be refrigerated or frozen
- When you’re ready for a hike or training, grab a slice or two and break up as needed.
- Natural Balance 4lb roll at Petco: $11.99
- Natural Balance treats (the dehydrated food roll!) 6oz for $6
- Very basic dehydrator at Menards on sale for $29.88 (week of 3/20/11)
- 4lbs of Natural Balance treats = $64
- Dehydrator + 4lb Natural Balance Roll = $42
- Savings: $22!
Of course, you don’t need to dehydrate Natural Balance Dog Food Rolls to use as treats. They are just more convenient when they are dry and shelf stable.
By Jennifer Lueck